Sunday, April 25, 2010

Reading is Weird

Recently I have been reading Dune. This is rapidly becoming one of my favorite books that I have ever read, and I keep thinking that part of the reason that I am enjoying it so much is because I have taken this class. I know that science fiction is always based of societies vices, and thats normally why I read it. This is different though for some reason, instead of thinking about how all of the different parts of Dune relate to different things in society I am thinking of Dune as one big picture. I guess that really I'm just reading it to enjoy the book, and to get something from it that I wouldn't have had before I read it. I'm not reading it to talk about it, or to learn anything and that is really strange to me. I can't really decide if it's the highlighted plot points, or just how i think that its so similar to so many other story that I can relate it to, but really I just like it. This class has done something weird to me, I have always read in the past to get something out of a book, but now I'm just reading to read. I still get something out of the book, and really its probably what I would have understood anyways, its just that now I'm not worried about how much a book can teach me I guess its just how much I enjoy it. This has to be at least one of the major lessons that this class is suppose to teach, to read for readings sake.  Anything that is published probably has some good ideas in it, and probably is at least decently written, so I guess now I just need to start reading things and not really worry to much about what they are trying to say, or what the deeper message is. I don't know why but I think that this is going to stay with me forever, and hopefully I get everything I'm suppose to get from books now. I have no idea, I really have no idea if anything I just said is true at all, I just hope that I'm not totally off track.

No comments:

Post a Comment