Sunday, April 25, 2010

Beautiful

In class the other day Professor S said that more than anything he just hopes to our papers could be beautiful. What does it mean to be beautiful though? Is it pretty structure and grammar, gorgeous ideas, or just how the paper overall presents itself. It's hard to be beautiful because supposedly beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What I just said cannot be necessarily true though, if something is poorly written it obviously won't be the pretty. Its weird to think that a poem can be written in a way that seems to be poor yet can still be considered one of the most beautiful things ever written. This is why I still don't completely understand the english language or literature. It's like something that is so plain (such as the red wheel barrow) can be seen as being beautiful. It's not the last of complexity that confuses me but rather that the piece was published in the first place. I could write a poem right on. 
As I stared into the window 
Blackness
My own Face was looking back me. 
Yet that will never be published and really I wouldn't consider that worthy or "beautiful" enough to be so. I guess that there is just something that I still am really missing and that is will take multiple more english classes to understand, or maybe I will just never understand it. I will try my hardest and hopefully one day (probably without my knowledge) I will also create something that is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment