Monday, February 22, 2010

Shutter Island

On Saturday I went to see the movie shutter island. While watching the movie I had a sudden epiphany and realized that this movie was just another story in the great soup of stories. What really made me realize this was a scene when the main character was hallucinating about talking to an army commander. They were talking about how both of them were men of violence, then the captain said a very interesting thing. He said I've known you for centuries. Then he went on to say that god loves violence and tried to swoo the main character to his point of view. This made me understand that we was not a ranking officer in the united states military but instead, Arnold Friend in one of the infaninate forms that we will turn himself into. This figure was not a character in a movie but he was instead an imaginary being that haunts us all. A figure with supernatural powers that are used to seduce and enthrall all of us. Some may say that he's a form of the devil but really all that he is, is the devil... and all that. From this initial starting point my brain began to whiz.
The movie was a copy of something that I had seen before. It was about someone thinking that they were a justifiable human being and in the end they were really the one that was crazy. This like many of the stories that we read in class the easiest one that comes to mind is a good man is hard to find. Throughout the entire story it seem as though the grandma is in the right and the bmisfit is in the wrong but really its more complex than that. The grandma was not a respecitble person and it can be argued that she deserved what she got. It is often found that the "hero" of the stoy can really be the villian and this was the case of shutter island. The real reasont that im writing about this topic is because its amazing to me how when a concetion is made once, it begins to be obvious in everything. I just started thinking about how much my view of the world is going to change after I take this class, and will it ever really be possible to get my old world view back?

No comments:

Post a Comment