Monday, January 25, 2010

Imagination, something that i have been trying to capture for the last 19 years of my life. We always talk about imagination, but what does it really mean. Are you imagining something if you are being suggested to? I'm trying to say when i read a story is it my imagination that tells me how the characters look and act, or is it the imagination of the story to teller to convey this message to me? If the latter is is true then I don't think that I have ever really imagined anything original. Has anyone really. I mean all stories and based off the principles of other stories. Even this blog was conveyed off an idea that was probably given to me by someone else somewhere in my life. I think that is why reading books is critical, and why understanding them is even more critical, its not about learning to create our own brand new scenario, but instead to be able to manipulate a preexisting one in a way to stimulate peoples interest. If everyone imagines the same things based on the stories that we read, then really isn't our society in some way based upon these images? Doesn't using an archetype that we all understand, such as Arnold Friend mean that really we all have an imagination construct based off the way we were raised? Everyone in the class has come to the conclusion that Arnold Friend is suppose to be the Devil, but if our experiences were of a different tradition (such as eastern based stories) would we come to this same conclusion?What I'm really trying to ask is do stories define a culture? 

No comments:

Post a Comment